Friday 17 December 2010

Southeastern trains - is there anything good to say about them?

So, having spent four and a half hours on a 96min train journey yesterday, I'm in the mood for a rant: does anyone know how Southeastern is justifying their 13% fare increases?

As far as I can see, for my £500 extra a year, I am getting a cramped Networker instead of the relatively comfy Electrostar.

Marked decrease in service due to a combination of the allegedly cheaply made, underpowered Networker trains and little to no servicing due to cuts.

Customer service staff who misinform callers as to what is happening when there are incidents, (four out of seven of my trips alone this week, and I'm not talking just a few minutes – can't blame the weather!).

And, according to Southeastern staff, incident control staff centralised and cut - so less people to deal with the increase in breakdowns, and cover drivers cut so that if the driver of a broken down train is delayed there is no one to pick up his next train.

I'm trying to think of something nice to say about them. The best I can think of is that their staff take a lot of grief, but generally handle it all politely, firmly, and often with good humour.

Also, they're not as bad as London Midland. But then again, I don't think London Midland are raising their prices by 13% while reducing services are they?

*Grump*

0 comments:

Post a Comment