Wednesday 28 March 2012

Canal Holiday - Day 6

Compared to Tuesday, we had a very sedate cruise. It’s worth noting here that while the news is prattling on about drought, the Staffs and Worcs Canal is quite possibly one body of water that may not need to worry as it is topped up by the run-off from a massive sewage works. A run-off that was strong enough to make us go sideways for a short while.

A sign on another boat made both Jennie and I simultaneously burst into evil cackles - ‘Grow Your Own Dope - Plant A Man’.

Jennie’s highlight was the discovery of a boat named ‘The Black Pearl’. Did I mention that she loves the ‘Pirates’ movies?

The highlight of the day came in the evening though. I adore swans, most especially talking to them on a one-to-one level aided by bread. I know that bread is not terribly good for them, but I don’t think I’ve yet killed one, and just a little lets me get up close and personal.

There haven’t been many swans this cruise, and none that I’ve had the opportunity to talk to, but having spotted a nesting pair on the way out, Dad made a point of mooring up somewhere nearby so that I could pay them a visit. Mrs. Swan was on her nest, and while she had created it next to a road on the other side of the lock, I didn’t think I’d be popular if I went near it, so I stuck to the opposite side of the canal and talked to Mr Swan.

Who was very happy to talk to me. Especially in return for bread. Which made me very happy.

On the way back to the boat, we happened to come across what had to be the season’s first ducklings. Darting around like little dodgems, they were very, very cute.

We went into Penkridge for dinner, and ate at The Star, a pub with beautiful old internal walls. It was such an old pub, that it didn’t take credit cards.

Returning back to the boat, we finished off the evening and the Maltesers and headed to bed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment